Q: Can I arrange a tour of the fire station?

A: Yes. The department provides tours and fire safety presentations to large groups (guides, scouts, etc) and small groups (family, birthday groups, youth group). These tours take 20-60 minutes. They can be arranged by calling the Fire Prevention Office. 

Q: Can I have an open fire in my backyard?

A: Open air fires are not permitted. Small fires are only permitted for warmth and cooking food.

  • located inside controlled container/unit/pit
  • must be supervised
  • have an extinguishing agent ready to be used (garden hose next to fire pit)
  • no painted wood or pressure-treated wood (green) be burned, including no plastic, paper, or chemicals,
  • it cannot be noxious to neighbours. Only natural wood is appropriate.

Q: Do I put salt or baking soda on a kitchen fire?

A: No. Put a lid on it. Restrict oxygen flow to the seat of the fire, and it will go out. Keep tea towels, paper towels, electric kettles away from the stove. Survey your kitchen to avoid such accidents. 

Q: How many smoke alarms do I need? Where do they go?

A: Smoke alarms are required by provincial law to be outside each and every sleeping area. That is if there are bedrooms separated by long distances or on different floors, additional detectors are needed there as well. Detectors are good for about 10 years, then should be replaced. Always ensure your detector is tested and approved by the Underwriter’s Labratories of Canada (ULC). Remember only “working” smoke detectors save lives. 

Q: Is the Fire Department hiring?

A: Every few years, firefighter positions become available through retirements. The city human resource office, conducts a competition for appropriate candidates. Applicants must have grade 12, drivers license, first aid and CPR, and complete written tests, and perform physical tests, and pass an interview. Healthy men and women are encouraged to apply when the next opportunity arises. 

As of June 2001, we are not currently hiring. 

Q: What the responsibilities of a Landlord?

A: Under the Ontario Building Code, it is the responsibility of the landlord to provided fire separations, fire closures, and supply / install a working smoke detector. The landlord must also provide instructions on how to maintain the smoke detector to the tenant.

For further questions come in person to the Fire Station at 210 Sherbrooke Street, Peterborough between 8 am-4pm.

Or call us at 745.3281 or visit the City’s Homepage¬†¬†